I have been doing quite a bit of Mountain Bike training recently to prepare for the Freedom Challenge – a race across South Africa. Spending nights out in the bush and getting a good bum callous.
One of the areas that I have focused on is my backpack/hydration pack for the race. I have tried a few and so far the best of them all has been the new OSPREY – HORNET SERIES 24. Last week I did a 330km ride from Cathcart in the Eastern Cape to Middelburg – all off road and some of it part of the Freedom Challenge route. The first day of 160km’s was hectic mountain terrain with a total ascent of 2000m. I was packed to capacity as I would be sleeping out and unsupported.
This was the first time I would be using the pack and was unsure of its capabilities.
Blown away is what comes to mind.
These are some of the features I loved:
• It weighs only 560g – super light
• It sits snugly on your back – no back issues at all
• It has two zippered panel load entry points, so packing in and out is sooo easy
• The hydration pack container is really easy to use – just slide in and out.
• The fabric is “bullet proof”! …. so to speak.